Tuesday, January 6

Top Picks: Summer Skin - Face & Body

Laura and Marissa @ Southbound '09
summer music festival; sunscreened up


If there's one thing that I've learnt from camping down south over the weekend, it's that the Australian sun shines no mercy upon the outdoors-lovin' folk, but only raw and blistering heat that leaves your skin dry and quite possibly a nice shade of crimson.


It's taken me a few times of getting seriously burnt in previous years (so bad that I still have tan lines on my knees from getting burnt two years ago) to realise just how important it is to remember to "slip, slop, slap" in this climate. Therefore I am now proud to say that I have been converted and am a regular-sunscreener! My Pop has undergone many-an-operation to remove skin cancer, and I definitely don't want to end up in the same situation, nor encourage any more wrinkles than I deserve any time soon!


So in the summer-spirit I've put together a collection of low budget skin-savers and other fool-proof products that I'm currently using, and don't think that I could live without.



1. Nivea Visage Gentle Cleansing Creme: A moisturising facial cleanser that leaves your skin soft and feeling hydrated

2. Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula - Moisturising Body Oil: I use this as an alternative to a moisturising cream or lotion. It's much lighter, goes on easily, and smells heavenly.

3. Cetaphil Moisturiser: Cetaphil products are incredibly gentle, so you know that they will always be a winner. This is quite a thick moisturiser, so you generally don't need to use a whole lot of it on your face. I usually opt for something lighter, but have found this to be a life-saver after plenty of sun exposure which has left my skin relatively dry.

4. Nivea Moisturising Fluid SPF 15: As most sunscreen lotions are quite thick and greasy (even if they state that they are non-greasy formulas!), this facial moisturiser with SPF protection is perfect for those with oilier skin types.

5. UV tripleguard sunscreen lotion: This stuff goes on blue and rubs in clear, as well as smelling sweet and pleasant! It claims to be non-greasy (which it is in comparison to other lotions), and has very good protection! I'm impressed by this one.

6. Lucas Papaw Ointment: What can't this stuff do? I was originally introduced to this stuff to stop my mosquito bites from itching when I was younger. Then I found out about it being a miracle product that can be used on cuts, burns, chaffing, everything. I now use it on my lips and would reccomend it as one of the best "balms" that I have used.

7. Klorane Dry Shampoo: So obviously this one is for the hair, but it's a life saver if your hair is prone to getting oilier a lot easier during the summer months. Spray, leave for two minutes, brush out, and wha-lah! Fresh hair! I'm not a fan of the smell (a bit like fake tan), and feel that you could probably get the same results by using baby powder - But the can is a much more practical method.

8. Nivea Refreshing Cleansing Wipes: Can you tell I'm a bit of a Nivea fan? I think it might be because it's a very gentle brand that still does the job (something I needed after subjecting my skin to pro-activ). These wipes clean up any make-up after a big night - which proved perfect for the festive season, and even better for camping.

I would also recommend Clinique Moisture Surge (both moisturiser and mask in one), as well as drinking plenty of water!

So remember that looking after your skin is looking after your well-being, and I bid you happy sunny days x

1 comment:

Hannah Lewis said...

you know, i've never tried paw paw ointment.. crazy i know

good little tips laury! glad someone else sees the importance of protecting your skin.